Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 1: I am Thankful for Medication

This is my story.  I am not judging your story.  Since, I'm sticking it out there for the world to see, you are welcome to judge my story.  I am not telling anyone what to do or how they should seek treatment.  I am not a counselor.  I am not a doctor.  I am not a preacher.  I am a "Depression-head." 

I'm starting big.  This one is controversial, especially in Conservative Christian circles...even more so in the Pentecostal/Charismatic circuit I've grown up in and around.

But I am thankful and I praise God for anti-depressants!  I firmly believe they were a gift He sent me from heaven.  I have been criticized for taking them, sometimes directly but mostly indirectly.  Those of you who are on them, perhaps secretly, know where I'm coming from.  But I've reached the point where I can honestly say that I don't care who cares. 

Understand, at my lowest point I was barely functioning at all.  I was doing good to keep my, at that time, two little ones in clean diapers.  Simply diapering was a struggle.  Being at work was a struggle. Going to church was a struggle.  ANY FORM of housework was a struggle.  (Still is, kinda.)  I can remember looking at my make-up on the counter in my bathroom & just the thought of putting it on was overwhelming.

For whatever reason, I never attempted suicide, but I knew I was in deep trouble when I had a thought of hurting my own innocent child.  I'd seen the news and this time period wasn't long after that one mother in Texas had drowned her 5 children.  I knew it could grow into something bigger than a thought.  I had finally reached a desperation point.  I went to my doctor.


Six weeks later my world opened up for the 1st time in my adult life.  The Zoloft started working.  I realized at that time, that I had been sick for years.  I understood how the rest of the "normal" world felt, and I could say that I hadn't felt "normal" since I was about 12 years old.


No one, will ever be able to convince me that my medication was not a gift from God.   We've all (depression heads) heard that voice from the pulpit, which then transfers that voice in our own mind.  The message varies slightly but...


"Anti-depressant medication means that you're not trusting God for healing."


I remember hearing one, well-meaning (or not) preacher had a message, "From Valium to Victory."  Actually, it was a Pentecostal preacher so it was more like, "From Valium to Victory-yah!"  He went on to decry the evils of psychological medication.  The church "uh-huh'd" and "Amened" all over that sermon.  And I knew I would never tell anyone about my meds.  I'd just keep it a secret. 

I've since learned that about a fourth of those "Amen-ers" were on medication, too.  And I'm tired of the secret life.

I've been criticized for not taking a more natural medication.  Somehow, Saint John's Wart was less offensive to God than Wellbutrin?  If I took that, it'd be a plant so I would still be trusting God?  I was told it had no side effects, but I know a lady who had some pretty horrendous side effects.  For those who've had relief from this herb, excellent.  I am all for those who'd like to take it, but I'd recommend being under the supervision of a professional no less than for those on Paxil.

People who take the meds are accused of just covering up/masking the symptoms of what's really causing the depression.  And this complaint, I actually agree with.  I know plenty of folks who are willing to take a Tylenol for their headache.  But what if the root of the headache is a sinus infection?  Can you not take a Tylenol and antibiotics at the same time?  Absolutely! Take that pain-killer until your sinus infection clears up.

I take the same approach with my happy-pills. There is a problem in my soul, an emotional scar causing my mental agony.  And I will continue to hunt out those wounds, clean them up, stitch them up, and let them heal.  Another gift from God.  In the meantime, I will take the special gift of medication He's given me and praise Him for it.  All good things come from our Father above.

I am thankful that I've seen a gradual shift towards depression in the Church.  More knowledge is getting out there and along with that knowledge more compassion.  I have many friends and family who are Christian...and Charismatic...and even Pentecostal who have been superbly supportive.  

I took anti-depressants for about 10 years.  I am blessed not to be on them right now.  But there may be a day when I need them again.  In fact, I'm considering it now.  But I refuse to think of it as a moral failing.  It takes a special kind of courage to ask for help. 

I'm not done, but I'm done for now.



P.S.  Anti-depressants are no light & lively thing.  For those who are unaware, it can be a trying time, if you know you've reached the point you need medication.  They can take 2-6 weeks to start working.  At that time, you may start to feel better.  Or you realize that this medication is not the right drug for you because it's not working or the side effects are too severe.  So, then you have to spend a few weeks weaning off the medication.  Then you get to start the new medicine.  And it takes 2-6 weeks to start working...etc.  Give an extra measure of grace to those you know going through this cycle.

4 comments:

  1. When I read the comments that were thrown your way about not trying to ask God for healing... the old joke comes to mind about the man who was on top of a house with water all around and he prayed for God to send him help. When a boat arrived he declined help because "he had prayed for help and God was going to help him".... he did the same when a couple other options appeared... so in the end he dies- and when he gets to Heaven- he asks God why he didn't save him- and God replies that he sent the boat, etc....

    I think this is an instance in which it is the same thing... God has given man the ability to know how to create medicines to heal and help people. So, why is it wrong to take meds that have been given to us to help us? If the meds aren't something you are taking to avoid life- but to help you function- how is it wrong?

    I am not a supporter of someone taking meds to alter their world so they can escape or for recreation. But, I do believe there are instances in which medicine has been given to us in order to keep us healthy... and that includes those with chemical imbalances.

    I am a Christian. I believe God can heal. But, I also believe God gave man tools that are supposed to help heal us, too.

    Good for you for recognizing you needed help. I know depression can be hard to overcome. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it just so relaxing to just let go and not care what they think any more. For me, that alone was just such a good thing. During a time when I couldn't quit crying, a doc offered me a pill that helped me quit crying for a while. What a blessing. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They work great for chronic pain too... Cymbalta helps so much with my back pain... and tiredness. Love you Rach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was one of the most amazing reactions I had toward Zoloft when it first started working. Before I could have slept 10-15 hours a day & still walked around completely exhausted. I had to pull over frequently b/c I was falling asleep at the wheel. I had to stand in the back of church so I wouldn't fall asleep & I STILL sometimes fell asleep. After medication, a normal night's sleep left me rested. No more fighting through the fog every minute of every day.

    ReplyDelete