Sunday, May 1, 2011

Alone Time

My husband braved watching the four boys without me so I could get "alone time."  Don't tell the kids, 'cause I'm pretty sure they'd hunt me down.  They cannot stand the thought of my being alone.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever.

Other moms will know what I'm talking about.  You see Sheldon made it funny to everyone else, but I think - not so much.

Knock, knock. "Penny!"  Knock, knock, "Penny!"  Knock, knock "Penny!"

Except in the scene in my house, I'm not in my own apartment but I'm daring a trip alone to the bathroom:

Knock, knock. "Mom!"  Knock, knock. "Mom!"  Knock, knock.  "Mom!"

"What?!"

Pause..."Whatcha doin?"

"I'm using the bathroom."

"Can I have a ____ ?"  [Insert snack option that inevitably requires my help.  This is not the time, say, to request of glass of water.  No, at this time the boy on the other side of the door will ask for milk...from the new jug.   This beverage is, of course, too heavy for him to pour himself.]

"Isn't your dad in the kitchen?"

"Oh, I didn't think of that."

At this point I smack my hand to my forehead.  I'm supposed to raise these kids to a relative expectancy of adult self-sufficiency right?  My work is cut out.


BUT - today, my husband let me leave, God bless him.  So I'm drinking a latte and enjoying my freedom and not listening to the one-year-old whimper on the other side of the door because he's on the other side of the door.

3 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean! My four kids walk right past Clay with a bottle, walk down the hall, go into my room, don't see me, walk back down the hall, into the living room, walk up to Clay, ask "where's mom?" He tells them what room I am located in. They then go to that room and ask me "can you open this bottle for me?" WHAT THA?! It's the same story in the mornings, we'd both be asleep and they ALWAYS wake me up. I guess that's the life of a mom huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Collette, thought I was logged in under my name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. Totally relate there.. I am thinking I need a much needed evening of me.

    ReplyDelete