Monday, May 9, 2011

Oprah Butter

So I’m really into real food.  I wanna be able to pronounce it.  I wanna be able to, at least theoretically go outside and pick it or kill it.


It started when my husband was diagnosed with diabetes.  I started reading labels for sugar contents.  I quickly learned that our entire culture is has two settings:  Vibrate and crash.  There’s a copious amount of sugar in everything.  It’s entirely too ridiculous. 

Reading labels for sugar soon led to reading for other ingredients and I grew more and more indignant.  How dare they.  For further reading into angerhood check out: Weird Food Additives by Marye Audet-White

So after creeping myself out with the lurid details of processed food, I learned to cook more & more healthy, natural.  Until I was bucked off my single ingredient high horse by….THE BUDGET.

Completely necessary for our family’s financial well-being, I’ve been cooking more and more from scratch.  I got creative.  The Internet is the best resource for how to make your own EVERYTHING! 

But, as y’all all know [I know, but I’m a native Texan], gas prices have gone up driving up the price of everything else.  Living in Alaska, we can really feel the crunch.  The salaries, according to the talking heads, haven’t kept up.  Our household reflects this trend, despite my hubby’s butt busting at a good, stable job. 

So I had to lower my standards.  It KILLED me but, I started buying “fruit juice drinks” instead of 100% juice for my kid’s school lunches.  I switched to less than 100% whole wheat bread.

Oh, the humanity!

I finally made a switch that puts me on par with the devil.  I dropped real butter.   I bought “spread.”  To know what this change means to me…my dairy farmer Granddaddy did not just roll over in his grave.  He’s break dancing. 

When my parents divorced, I was a teenager and the one thing I asked my mother not to change, “Please, keep buying real butter,” and she did. 

BUT, I bought Country Crock and, meh.  But Country Crock is the most expensive fake butter so I got and even cheaper spread.  I was scared but it turned out that it was not horrible.  



I got The Best Life buttery spread.  Derick opened the fridge and declared, “You got Oprah butter.” 

Yes, our family is eating Oprah butter.  Even Fischer calls it Opwah butt-o. 

So all that to say, I prefer butter, real butter.  Please choose butter.  But if y’all need an alternative, Oprah butter can be an option.  

No comments:

Post a Comment