Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 25: I am Thankful for Transformation

I have four sons.  So, the 1st bauble that pops into my noggin when I hear "trans-anything" is always going to be Transformers the toys, cartoons, movies, etc.

It's a robot! (Insert dub-step sound effect.)  No, it's a dinosaur!  It's an airplane.  It's a spider!

It takes 2 seconds on TV to change those robots around.  It takes a little bit longer in real life to flip the toys.  I'm not kidding either.  Some of those buggers require instructions and Google searches.  

Now, looking back, I can see that my own transformation from mentally decrepit to mental health has taken decades versus seconds.  There is no quick Google look up.  The change has been gradual.  There have been many backward steps, as well.  

"...but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,..."  Romans 12:2 (Partial) ESV

This verse used to frustrate me because I never could seem to do just that...renew my mind.

Second look, redo, this time we'll see the whole picture.

"Do not be transformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." 
Romans 12:2 (Complete) ESV

I was trying to change my depression on my own.  I was white knuckle, desperate, and angry as I tried to force myself better.  It didn't work.  The Bible says that the Holy Spirit is the one who sanctifies me, meaning, that He is the one who cleans me out.

For example: the Bible says that I am precious and loved of God, but I wasn't willing to accept that portion.

I am slowly learning to test how I think.  I honestly think quite a bit like the rest of the world that is not in submission to the God of the Universe.  So, to be completely practical, my prayer sounds like, "God, Your Word says that You made me according to Your will, "wonderfully."  I don't honestly believe I am anything but a screw-up.  But I know that Your Word is true so will you fix the way I think?  Change my thinking?  Put my thinking in alignment with what the Bible says is true."

I have just begun to pray this prayer just in the past month or so over any issue I know that I don't quite agree with in the Bible.  I talking about from social and political issues to those messed up thoughts I have that affect my moods negatively.  And, oh my goodness, He has answered so many times over.  I'll be driving and He will whisper, "Have you noticed this _________"  

Insert creepy "mind-blown" cartoon from Facebook.

I think differently than I did just a month ago.  Let alone 10 years ago.  He has been doing the hard work.  He has been so faithful.

I have been a Christian since I was 9 years old.  But I feel as if I'm just beginning this amazing journey.  I am just now discovering:

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."   2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV



Yeah, I'm still not quite finished, but I'm done for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment