Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 23: I am Thankful for Comfort

Comfort.  When I picture comfort I picture fleece pajamas and flannel sheets.  I picture a warm hug.  I picture hot coffee and chocolate chip cookies.  I imagine "sleeping in" until a ridiculous hour.   

I certainly don't picture struggle, pain, hardship, poverty,...depression.

But it was pointed out to me recently that the root word for "comfort" does not quite have the same definition that we think of today.  I looked it up and sure enough, they were correct.  (See "Comfort" at Dictionary.com).  The word "comfort" originally meant, "to strengthen much." This root word is even used in the Vulgate.  The Latin Vulgate an ancient translation of the Bible.  It is still used as a tool by Bible translators, today.

In Western culture, where we've had very little true suffering, we have kind of made a god of comfort.  To be honest, most of us do not want the million(s) dollar mansion with the luxury Hummer while jewels decorate each appendage.  When I, for one, see some of that overabundance on TV it makes me a little sick at my stomach.  I don't want all that excess.  I just want to be comfortable.  I want to pay my bills, buy healthy groceries, drive an in-good-condition older car, dress my kids in Old Navy and Target and not hyperventilate when I see the college fund Orthodontist would like to drain.  Am I right?  

But this older, and I truly believe more accurate, definition of comfort gives a new spin to:

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;" John 14:16 KJV

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."  John 14:18 KJV

I thought the point was that when I faced troubles I would be wrapped in a spiritual blanket so I could feel all better? Guess not?  Nope.

My typical reaction to pain is to avoid it at all costs.  But I think I need a shift in attitude.

When my day is dark and my depression is heavy I need to stop and say, "I am going to ride this out.  I am going to accept the comfort (strengthening) of the Holy Spirit in my circumstance.  I am going to see how I can glorify God while depressed, today."

Perhaps I can comfort or "strengthen much" someone else?

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.  If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer.  Our hope is for you to be unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings,  you will also share in our comfort."  2 Corinthians 1:3-7 ESV

I'm still not done, but I'm done for now.

1 comment: