Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 29: I am Thankful for Love

I heard a message on the radio this afternoon discussing the wrath of God and the different forms it takes.  When we hear the term "wrath of God" we usually think of tornadoes, earthquakes, war and famine. But I truly believe there is a more common form of God's wrath towards sin.

"Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done."  Romans 1:28 NIV

I also like the New Living Translation's phrasing:

"Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done."  

In other words:

"So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired."  Romans 1:24a NLT

God left them alone.  He stopped pursuing them.

As I have worked on my depression, I have found so much filth in my soul that needed to be cleaned out, sutured, and healed.  And He has been faithful to do this surgery on my heart.  But lets face it, demons aren't fun to deal with...it kinda sucks.  So, I had to be driven to do the work.  Pressed.  Forced.

The absolute most hateful thing He could have done would be to have placed me into a perfect stress-free life where my childhood, family, finances, health and emotions would have been unchallenged.  I would then have no need of Him.

God pursued me.  He allowed the depression because He loves me.  


Almost done....

No comments:

Post a Comment