Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 4: I am Thankful for Seasons

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens:
   a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot, 
   a time to kill and a time to heal, 
   a time to tear down and a time to build, 
   a time to weep and a time to laugh, 
   a time to mourn and a time to dance, 
   a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, 
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, 
   a time to search and a time to give up, 
   a time to keep and a time to throw away, 
   a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to love and a time to hate, 
   a time for war and a time for peace."  Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (NIV)

I know that you are now singing that song quietly under your breath.  I know you are because "I sure are."  We'll give an obligatory nod to The Birds...and move on.

You know the seasons: Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring.  I, however, live in Alaska.  The joke up here is that we have four seasons as well: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter (a.k.a. "Break-up"), and Construction.

Just like the weather, life is full of seasons.  Following my own life there's my childhood, my teen years, my college years, my newlywed years, my career years, and I am currently in right smack dab in the chaos-ensuing...er, child rearing years.  

Each season has it's own situational challenges, logistical challenges, and emotional challenges.  Unfortunately, we don't have the predictability as to a timeline.  I don't know how long any one season of challenge will last.  It different for every challenge and for every person.  And so it is.  

Another way to say it is, "This too shall pass." 

I had a pre-babies figure that I did not even appreciate enough.  "This too shall pass."  I had period of illness that put me on disability and drove us into the ground financially.  "This too shall pass."  

(Nerd out moment: Are you picturing the scene with Gandalf and the Balrog? Because I  am.  I totally am.)

My 1st season of depression lasted for 20 years.  My next season of joy and freedom lasted for about 18 months.  Whatever this current season will be, it will be just that, a season.  

And the seasons have taught me that God is good.  He is for our good.  We really get to see it if we can relax and trust our lives, hearts, fears, weaknesses and deep emotions to Him.  I just have to hold on and ride it out. 

"But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
      They will soar high on wings like eagles.
   They will run and not grow weary.
      They will walk and not faint."  Isaiah 40:31 (NLT)

It was pointed out to me that we don't walk & soar at the same time.  There are days for soaring, when all is well.  And there are days for walking, when life is tough.  And to be honest, there are days, when I'm in darkness, when it is a struggle to fold the next piece of laundry and I am crawling...barely.  

But it's only a time period.  And in view of eternity it's really not very long at all.  

Speaking of seasons, today's season of "awake-ed-ness" is about over, so I'm going to be done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment