Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 5: I am Thankful for Hope

I am thankful for hope.

It's December.  It's Christmas time.  All the commercials and all the TV specials are about the Spirit of Christmas. 



Random Rant: Excuse me, CHRISTmas.  "Don't take the CHRIST out of Christmas." Am I the only one who is SO tempted to post 30 days of happy Christmas wishes on Facebook & only use "Xmas?" Just to be ornery?  No?  It's just me then.  I'm so twisted. 

Back on task, you know the commercials & the music & the cheesy family friendly movies that talk about giving and hope and fairy dust wishes with sparkling lights on top? 

Well, when I talk about hope, I'm not talking about that kind.  I'm talking about something a little more tangible and a little less fuzzy.  When I'm in the dark places of depression and mental illness, all that superficial joy-joy just makes me mad.  It's kind of like rubbing a cheese grater on my skin. 

But there is definitely something to be said about real hope:

1) There's the belief that something good can come out of something bad.  The most amazing people have all been through hell.  Their travel through darkness is what made them amazing.  Examples: Corrie Ten Boom, Nick Vujicic, Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa and Abraham Lincoln.  Incidently, President Lincoln also suffered from depression.  

2) The knowledge that situations always eventually change.  It's not always for the better but know that if it can get worse it also can get better.  I am a deep believer in Christ, but realize that even those who are not "religious" recognize that life is moving, always changing.  There is an appropriately named "It Gets Better" campaign.  Celebrities like Tim Gunn speaking out to those who are facing despair over the struggle of sexual identity or other personal issues.  They speak of the changes that life naturally brings as it ebbs and flows.  Life is dynamic, not stagnant. 

3) My final statement of hope is through my own relationship with God, with Christ.  Even when I really can't see a way out of darkness, I understand the power He has.  He usually doesn't, but I know He has the power to speak a single word & all my pain will be washed away instantly.  It used to make me angry when I thought of His ability and the fact that He wouldn't just magic the agony away.  It no longer does.  Instead I find comfort and HOPE that He's walking me through the pain. 

I realize that not all who read this blog have the relationship with God I am talking about.  Many of you may not even believe Him.  But at least, if not all 3 points, consider the first 2.  There is real tangible hope out there.

My kids have woken from their naps, so I'll have to be done for now.

1 comment: