Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 8: I am Thankful for Humility

We are Americans.  We can do anything and everything if we just dream big enough and work hard enough.  I mean, that's what all our cartoons, movies, and Disney tweener shows tell us, right?

But no matter how hard I worked, no matter how much I wanted it, no matter how white my knuckles were...

I couldn't shake the depression on my own.  I needed help.  How very un-American of me.  How very un-Texan of me...gasp...hand placed prettily on mouth. 

The fact is, when it came to depression, I was unable to come up with my own remedy.  Spent years trying.  I was unable to work it out.  I was unable to figure it out.  I was unable to know what I needed to do, to make myself better.

It was not easy to admit.  I happen to be a naturally prideful and independent person.  I'm not one of those women who needs a guy.  I don't have to be popular.  I am not afraid to be alone because I know I'm intellegent and able.  I can figure it.  Virtually always. 

So God gave me depression.  He showed me I needed others.  He showed me I needed my husband and my family.  And most importantly, He showed me I needed Him. 

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. 
1 Peter 5:6 (NIV)

And this verse is true.  I am at a greater place of joy now than I ever was before I asked for help.  He has released me to speak through writing.  He has realeased me to love others.  He has released me to love my husband & children in a way I wasn't able to before.  

And as long as I throw myself upon Him and the people He brings into my life, it can only get better.  

I'm not done, but I'm done for today.

1 comment:

  1. im thankful for this blog. lets me know im not alone. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete