Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 13: I am Thankful for Forever

There is an aspect to my worldview, my belief system, that has probably held me together more than any other idea. 

It is the knowledge that this world isn't all there is. 

I now believe that life with depression can still be "good," primarily with treatment.  But when it was really bad, dank and dark, I certainly did not feel that hopeful. 

At my worst, I was convinced that life would never be anything but awful.  When I would cycle around, I was convinced that even if I did get a little better, the depression would always come back.

When mental illness wasn't drowning me, it was haunting me. 

The glue that kept me from spinning completely to pieces was the belief that there is another life.  One that has been promised to me to be so amazing I can't even begin to imagine it. 

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4 (NIV)


This belief in something better kept me from ending it all.  I may not have been able to drum up the faith that this life would ever get better, but I had the future to look forward to, after death.  Somehow, this belief never drove me to try to commit suicide, to get there faster.  Instead, when the malignant voice in my head was unbearable, it helped me hold on just one more day...because I know that day is coming.  


Eternal perspective.  It helps. 

I'm not done, but I'm done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment