Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 19: I am Thankful for Discipline

As I continue in this blogging thing, I am realizing that there is a theme forming: "Sufferings brings about good."

Anxiety brings about good.  Pain brings about good.  Depression brings about good...eventually...especially for the believer in Christ.

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them." 
Romans 8:28 (NLT)

But I also believe that God is using the bad moments in life to work in the hearts of unbelievers as well.  He wants hearts.  He wants the unbelieving heart to come to Him and He wants the believing heart to come even closer.

Anyone ever heard this phrase, "God won't give you more than you can handle?"  This is one of those "bible verses" I hear quoted so often that sounds lovely to our western cultural ears.  We can handle it because we're strong and independent, right?  But that is not a verse in the Bible.  It goes in with a list of other phrases we've heard over & over until we think it's a Bible verse.

"God helps those who help themselves."
"Cleanliness is next to godliness."
"Early to morning, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, & wise."  etc.

Quite often, these cute little quips are in actuality from the writings of Ben Franklin.  Not a bad guy, mind you, but not on the level of Scripture.  

The "more than you can handle" verse is a spin-off of 1 Corinthians 10:13.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.  And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."  (NIV)

Paul says that all the temptations or testing the Christians in Corinth are under are "common."  It's normal.  It happens a lot.  Also, the verse says that we're not tempted beyond what we can bear - because - God will provide a way out.

We're not "handling" on our own.

Depression is a pretty tough burden to bear.  But, because of the Cross, I don't have to bear it alone.  In fact, eventually, as I work through what God is working out in me, I don't have to bear it at all.  I will finally see "in the flesh" what Jesus' crucifixion & resurrection did for me "in the spirit."

God loves me.  He loves more than my own Daddy loves me.  My earthly Dad was willing to punish me.  He wanted to make into a lovely lady and that formation required spankings, groundings, scoldings, etc.

Since God gets to have control of the whole universe, He disciplines me, yes even punishing me, in order to turn me into the woman of God He knows me to be.  He doesn't spank me with a paddle.  He allows me to feel the consequences of my negative actions.  He's even able to cause me to feel the consequences of my negative attitudes.  Something my earthly father could try to curb, but honestly didn't have a lot of control over.

Hebrews says that I get disciplined because HE LOVES ME.  He will scold me.  (My conscience is pricked because I'm being too short with the boys.)  He will put me in time-out. (Anxiety may become a daily reality.)  Eventually, if I don't respond He will continually get louder. (In me, this loving punishment eventually results in out-and-out depression.)

So, I'm working to shift my attitude when the negative occurs.  How about you?

I shall finalize with an especially long Bible quote:

"After all, you have not yet given your lives in the struggle against sin.
And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as His children? He said, 
  
 'My child don't make light of the LORD's discipline, 
     and don't give up when He corrects you.
    For the LORD disciplines those He loves, 
     and He punishes each one He accepts as His child.'

As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as His own children.  Who has ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by his father?  If God doesn't discipline you as He does all of His children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really His children at all.  Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn't we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever? 

For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how.  But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in His holiness.  No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening - it's painful!  But afterwards there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.

So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees."  Hebrews 12:4-12 (NLT)
Bold Emphasis added by "Moi"

No comments:

Post a Comment